Rethinking Samir Amin’s Legacy and the Case for a Political Organization of the Global Justice Movement
AbstractJuego argues that the new Internationale’s “primary organizational function should be the global coordination of actions of progressive grassroots movements from country to country.” He calls for a ‘learning organization,’ where the new Internationale supports “a continuous dialogue between bottom-up and top-down approaches to decision-making.” He sees it as “[a]kin to a global coordinating council” meaning that it works to integrate and synthesize the “varying initiatives, campaigns, and mass actions at all geographical levels of membership” while remaining mindful of the “dialectics between reform and revolution.” The new Internationale must, moreover, be “grounded on a pragmatic understanding of realpolitik especially in struggles at national and local scales,” and institutionalize a commitment to dialogue, research, and discussion.
Amin, S. (2013). The Implosion of Contemporary Capitalism. New York: Monthly Review Press.
Amin, S. (2014). Popular Movements Toward Socialism: Their Unity and Diversity. Monthly Review 66(2), 1–31.
Amin, S. (2018, July 3). It is imperative to construct the Internationale of workers and peoples. Network IDEAS. Retrieved from http://www.networkideas.org/featured-articles/2018/07/it-is-imperative-to-reconstruct-the-internationale-of-workers-and-peoples/
Hanin, M. & Afaya, K. (2016, September 21). For the Purpose of Preserving the Trace of Hope: Let us rethink together about the future of the World Social Forum. intercoll.net. Retrieved from https://intercoll.net/For-the-purpose-of-preserving-the-trace-of-
Juego, B. (2016). A Commons Perspective on Human-Nature Relations: Analysis, Visions, and Strategies for Alternative Futures. In Humanity and Nature: Traditional, Cultural & Alternative Perspectives (pp. 62–67). Bangkok: Focus on the Global South, The Sombath Initiative, and Heinrich-Böll-Stiftung Southeast Asia.
Juego, B. (2018). Nationalism that violates the dignity of human beings deserves condemnation (an interview with Bonn Juego by Ella Soesanto and Fabian Heppe). In Perspectives Asia: Nationalisms and Populisms in Asia, Issue 7 (pp. 4–8). Berlin: Heinrich Böll Stiftung.
Juego, B. (2018). Authoritarian Neoliberalism: Its Ideological Antecedents and Policy Manifestations from Carl Schmitt’s Political Economy of Governance. Administrative Culture 19(1), 105–136.
Mestrum, F. (2017, November 18). Reinventing the World Social Forum: how powerful an idea can be. Open Democracy / ISA RC-47: Open Movements. Retrieved from https://opendemocracy.net/francine-mestrum/reinventing-world-social-forum-how-powerful-idea-can-be
Santos, B. (2006). The Rise of the Global Left: The World Social Forum and Beyond. London: Zed Books.
Santos, B. (2005). The Future of the World Social Forum: The work of translation. Development 48(2), 15–22.
Teivainen, T. (2016). Occupy representation and democratise prefiguration: Speaking for others in global justice movements. Capital & Class 40(1), 19–36.
Trotsky, L. (22 October 1935). Sectarianism, Centrism and the Fourth International. Retrieved from: https://www.marxists.org/archive/trotsky/1935/10/sect.htm
Wallerstein, I. (1 November 2016). The World Social Forum Still
Matters. Commentary No. 436. Retrieved from https://www.iwallerstein.com/the-world-social-forum-still-matters/
Wood, E.M. (1995). Democracy Against Capitalism: Renewing Historical Materialism. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- The Author retains copyright in the Work, where the term “Work” shall include all digital objects that may result in subsequent electronic publication or distribution.
- Upon acceptance of the Work, the author shall grant to the Publisher the right of first publication of the Work.
- The Author shall grant to the Publisher and its agents the nonexclusive perpetual right and license to publish, archive, and make accessible the Work in whole or in part in all forms of media now or hereafter known under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License or its equivalent, which, for the avoidance of doubt, allows others to copy, distribute, and transmit the Work under the following conditions:
- Attribution—other users must attribute the Work in the manner specified by the author as indicated on the journal Web site;
- The Author is able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the nonexclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the Work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), as long as there is provided in the document an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post online a prepublication manuscript (but not the Publisher’s final formatted PDF version of the Work) in institutional repositories or on their Websites prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work. Any such posting made before acceptance and publication of the Work shall be updated upon publication to include a reference to the Publisher-assigned DOI (Digital Object Identifier) and a link to the online abstract for the final published Work in the Journal.
- Upon Publisher’s request, the Author agrees to furnish promptly to Publisher, at the Author’s own expense, written evidence of the permissions, licenses, and consents for use of third-party material included within the Work, except as determined by Publisher to be covered by the principles of Fair Use.
- The Author represents and warrants that:
- the Work is the Author’s original work;
- the Author has not transferred, and will not transfer, exclusive rights in the Work to any third party;
- the Work is not pending review or under consideration by another publisher;
- the Work has not previously been published;
- the Work contains no misrepresentation or infringement of the Work or property of other authors or third parties; and
- the Work contains no libel, invasion of privacy, or other unlawful matter.
- The Author agrees to indemnify and hold Publisher harmless from Author’s breach of the representations and warranties contained in Paragraph 6 above, as well as any claim or proceeding relating to Publisher’s use and publication of any content contained in the Work, including third-party content.
Revised 7/16/2018. Revision Description: Removed outdated link.