The Travesty of “Anti-Imperialism"
Aguiar, Thiago. 2023. The Shifting Ground of Globalization: Labor and Mineral Extraction at Vale S.A. Leiden: Brill.
Al-Shami, Leila. 2018. “The ‘Anti-Imperialism’ of Idiots.” Libcom.Org, April 17. https://libcom.org/article/anti-imperialism-idiots-leila-al-shami
Barbiere, André. 2022. “The Return of the Working Class ‘With Chinese Characteristics.’” Left Voice, December 19. https://www.leftvoice.org/protests-expose-cracks-in-xi-jinpings-china/
Bradsher, Keith. 2022. “China’s Economy is Slowing, A Worrying Sign for the World.” New York Times, January 17. https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/16/business/economy/china-economy.html
Bredderman, William. 2023. “‘People’s Media’ Network, But Pro-Russia and Pro-China.” Portside (originally printed in The Daily Beast), June 9. https://portside.org/2023-06-09/peoples-media-network-pro-russia-and-pro-china
Code Pink. n.d. “Nicaragua in the Crosshairs.” Code Pink. https://www.codepink.org/renacer_alert
Colectivo sobre Financiamiento e Inversiones Chinas, Derechos Humanos y Ambiente (CICDHA). 2022. “Derechos Humanos y Actividades Empresariales Chinas en Latinoamérica: Casos de Argentina, Bolivia, Brasil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, México, Perú y Venezuela.” http://chinaambienteyderechos.lat/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/Informe-reporte-medio-termino-1.pdf
China Labor Bulletin. 2023. https://maps.clb.org.hk/?i18n_language=en_US&map=1&startDate=2021-03&endDate=2021-09&eventId=&keyword=&addressId=&parentAddressId=&address=&parentAddress=&industry=&parentIndustry=&industryName=
Desai, Radhika. 2013. “The BRICS are Building a Challenge to Western Economic Supremacy.” The Guardian, April 2. http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/apr/02/brics-challenge-western-supremacy
Elfstrom, Manfred. 2022. Workers and Change in China: Resistance, Repression, Responsiveness. New York: Cambridge University Press.
Fanon, Franz. 1965. The Wretched of the Earth. New York: Grove.
Frank, André Gunder. 1967. Capitalism and Underdevelopment in Latin America. New York: Monthly Review Press.
Garcia-Herrero, Alicia, Le Xia, and Carlos Casanova. 2015. “Chinese Outbound Foreign Direct Investment: How Much Goes Where After Round-Tripping and Offshoring?” Working Paper, No. 15/17, https://www.bbvaresearch.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/15_17_Working-Paper_ODI.pdf
Global Times. 2023. “China Leads Hurun Global Rich List 2023 with 969 Billionaires: Report.” https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202303/1287829.shtml
International Manifesto Group. 2021. “Through Pluripolarity to Socialism: A Manifesto.” https://internationalmanifesto.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/through-pluripolarity-to-socialism-a-manifesto-final.pdf
International Monetary Fund. 2023. “El Directorio Ejecutivo del FMI Concluye la Consulta del Artículo IV Con Nicaragua Correspondiente a 2022.” https://www.imf.org/es/News/Articles/2023/01/27/pr2322-imf-executive-board-concludes-2022-article-iv-consultation-with-nicaragua
Johnstone, Caitlin. 2022. “You’re Not Actually Helping When You ‘Support’ Protesters in Empire-Targeted Nations,” blog, Caitlin Johnstone, December 20. https://caitlinjohnstone.com/2022/12/20/youre-not-actually-helping-when-you-support-protesters-in-empire-targeted-governments/
Kolesnilkov, Andrei. 2022. “Scientific Putinism: Shaping Official Ideology in Russia.” Politika, November 21. https://carnegieendowment.org/politika/88451
Morris, Louise. 2023. “‘A Megaproject of Death’: Fury as Maya Train Nears Completion in Mexico.” The Guardian, May 23. https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2023/may/23/fury-as-maya-train-nears-completion-mexico
Opuku, Kyeretwiem, Manuel Bertoldi, Deby Veneziale, and Vijay Prashad. 2023. “Eight Contradictions of the Imperialist ‘Rules-Based Order,’” Tricontinental, March. https://thetricontinental.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/20230308_Eight-Contraditions_EN_Web.pdf
Osiander, Andreas. 2001. “Sovereignty, International Relations, and the Westphalian Myth.” International Organization 55(2): 251–287.
Reid Ross, Alexander and Courtney Dobson, 2022. “The Big Business of Uyghur Genocide Denial.” New Lines Magazine, January. https://newlinesmag.com/reportage/the-big-business-of-uyghur-genocide-denial/
Robinson, William I. 2022. “Nicaragua: Daniel Ortega and the Ghost of Louis Bonaparte,” Against the Current. https://againstthecurrent.org/atc221/nicaragua-daniel-ortega-the-ghost-of-louis-bonaparte/
Rodríguez, Fabricio. 2022. “Authoritarian Practices Between ‘Para-Coloniality’ and “Cheap Security: When Chinese State Capital Meets Neoliberal Copper Mining (and Protests) in Las Bambas, Peru.” Globalizations, April 19. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/14747731.2023.2179813
Ross, John and Vijay Prashad. 2021. “China and US Relations in Latin America.” Black Agenda Report, January 6. https://www.blackagendareport.com/china-and-us-relations-latin-america
Rubinstein, Alex. 2021. “Intersectional Imperialism: A Wholesome Menace,” blog, Real Alex Rubi, March 15. https://realalexrubi.substack.com/p/intersectional-imperialism-a-wholesome
United States Census. “Trade in Goods with Nicaragua,” https://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/balance/c2190.html
Watson, Hilbourne A. 2015. “State Sovereignty, Body Politic, Neo-Patriarchy and Citizenship in the Caribbean: Beyond Epistemological Territorialism and Sovereignty Myths,” in Globalization, Sovereignty, and Citizenship in the Caribbean, edited by Hilbourne A. Watson. Kingston, Jamaica: University Press of the West Indies.
Wein, Joe. 2022. “Putinism, the Anti-Imperialism of Fools.” blog, Joe Wein, September 1. https://joewein.net/blog/2022/09/01/putinism-the-anti-imperialism-of-fools/
Wintgens, Sophie. 2023. “China’s Growing Footprint in Latin America.” FDI Intelligence, March 10. https://www.fdiintelligence.com/content/feature/chinas-growing-footprint-in-latin-america-82014
Xie, Yu and Xiang Zhou. 2014. “Income Inequality in Today’s China.” PNAS III (19). https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.1403158111
Xu, Zhu. 2018. From Commune to Capitalist: How Cinna’s Peasants Lost Collective Farming and Gained Urban Property. New York: Monthly Review Press.
Zea, Tibisay. 2022. “A State-Owned Company from China is Building a Massive Commercial Port in Peru.” The World, September 20. https://theworld.org/stories/2022-09-20/state-owned-company-china-building-massive-commercial-port-peru
Zhou, Lihuan and Denise Leung. 2015. “China’s Overseas Investments, Explained in 10 Graphs.” World Resources Institute, January 28. https://www.wri.org/insights/chinas-overseas-investments-explained-10-graphics
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2023 William I. Robinson
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- The Author retains copyright in the Work, where the term “Work” shall include all digital objects that may result in subsequent electronic publication or distribution.
- Upon acceptance of the Work, the author shall grant to the Publisher the right of first publication of the Work.
- The Author shall grant to the Publisher and its agents the nonexclusive perpetual right and license to publish, archive, and make accessible the Work in whole or in part in all forms of media now or hereafter known under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License or its equivalent, which, for the avoidance of doubt, allows others to copy, distribute, and transmit the Work under the following conditions:
- Attribution—other users must attribute the Work in the manner specified by the author as indicated on the journal Web site;
- The Author is able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the nonexclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the Work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), as long as there is provided in the document an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post online a prepublication manuscript (but not the Publisher’s final formatted PDF version of the Work) in institutional repositories or on their Websites prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work. Any such posting made before acceptance and publication of the Work shall be updated upon publication to include a reference to the Publisher-assigned DOI (Digital Object Identifier) and a link to the online abstract for the final published Work in the Journal.
- Upon Publisher’s request, the Author agrees to furnish promptly to Publisher, at the Author’s own expense, written evidence of the permissions, licenses, and consents for use of third-party material included within the Work, except as determined by Publisher to be covered by the principles of Fair Use.
- The Author represents and warrants that:
- the Work is the Author’s original work;
- the Author has not transferred, and will not transfer, exclusive rights in the Work to any third party;
- the Work is not pending review or under consideration by another publisher;
- the Work has not previously been published;
- the Work contains no misrepresentation or infringement of the Work or property of other authors or third parties; and
- the Work contains no libel, invasion of privacy, or other unlawful matter.
- The Author agrees to indemnify and hold Publisher harmless from Author’s breach of the representations and warranties contained in Paragraph 6 above, as well as any claim or proceeding relating to Publisher’s use and publication of any content contained in the Work, including third-party content.
Revised 7/16/2018. Revision Description: Removed outdated link.